- This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 months, 3 weeks ago by OREO.
June 9, 2020 at 12:54 pm #50104Wingiby IggibyGuest
I haven’t seen a topic like this before, so I decided to make one! It’s where we can talk “animals.” Any type, your favorite or non favorite. We can talk about icky ones (sea cucumbers), cute ones (baby snow owls!) and dangerous ones (copper heads…). I wanted to tell y’all about one of my favorite animals: Snails.
I know, it’s a bit odd. But what would this world be like without oddities? Anyway, I wanted to tell you cool facts about snails. I could also tell you almost anything you wanted to know about them — don’t believe it? Just ask! If I have no clue whatsoever, you can bet your boots I’ll look it up!
So here we go:
1. Snails can be pretty smart. They can recognize you by your smell; and to conserve their slime will re-use old snail-trails or use other snails trails. Giant Africa land snails (the largest was 15.5 in long and weighed two pounds) get wiser with age. They learn to creep into a trap, eat the food, and creep out backwards again without getting caught! Outsmarted by a snail, ha!
2. You may hear that the toughest natural material is spider silk. Nope. A certain underwater snail (called limpets) have teeth that may be the strongest natural material yet documented!
3. A snails slime is so great at keeping their foot from getting cut up that they can crawl over a razor blade without getting harmed!
So yeah, snails are pretty super! 😉
June 9, 2020 at 1:32 pm #50112Mischievous ThwaplingGuest
WOW! I never knew there were so many interesting facts about snails!! That’s so cool!
On the Wingfeather saga livestream where Andrew read aloud every night, there was a person that had a bunch of snails (I won’t say the name)
June 10, 2020 at 1:12 pm #50135Wingiby IggibyGuest
I do believe that I and that person on the live stream are one and same! If she had sixty snails because they laid eggs, then yes, I’m her! But thanks for not mentioning names, I appreciate it!
And I know! Snails are SO cool!
June 10, 2020 at 2:08 pm #50139Mischievous ThwaplingGuest
I thought that might be you!
I honestly ADORE animals, so I don’t exactly have a favorite, but here are some that I love:
Bears, wolves, foxes, birds of prey, and raccoons.
June 10, 2020 at 2:30 pm #50142Wingiby IggibyGuest
I totally love all of those animals! Have you read Rascal by Sterling North? It’s a wonderful book!
When I was little, I had a thing for hippos. When we went to the zoo I threw a tantrum because I wasn’t allowed to swim with them. I also had a small hippo toy I carried around. I still like them, but I’m not that crazy about the creatures anymore!
I also love big cats, because they are so amazing; they can do everything but fly! I might post more another time about some of the cool things they can do…
June 10, 2020 at 10:23 pm #50169Mischievous ThwaplingGuest
I actually haven’t read that book! Sound interesting, though!
That’s cute how much you loved hippos! When I was I little, I had this toy horse named Sally. One day I left her somewhere, and completely lost it. I refused to get a new one, insisting, “That’s not Sally!” (Even thought they were identical, besides the fact that mine was pretty scuffed up.) Eventually, we found her at the lost and found, and, I’ll admit it, I still have her to this day. Your hippo story reminded me of that 🙂
I love big cats too!
June 15, 2020 at 2:55 pm #50313OREOGuest
Favorite insects: favorite animals:
I’m drawing a blank.
- The forum ‘Community conversations’ is closed to new topics and replies.